Friday, May 18, 2012

What I'm Digging

Happy Friday, friends! Firstly, thank you so very much for your kind comments on my grandmother! She's regaining her strength daily and has been coherent for the past few days, an enormous sea change from earlier in the week.

Also, I don't know if you've been experienced the storms of spring like we have, but last night we had a rumbler so intense the very foundation of the house shook, the windows wavered, and the dog cowered like the end times were at hand. Huxley loves thunderstorms and runs around yelling "Ton Er, Ton Er" (his word for thunder). That sight alone makes all the risk of the house getting struck by a random lightening bolt worth it. Well, almost.

Here's a smattering of this's and that's that caught my attention this week:
*The cover of Time is getting lots of attention (personally it seems a bit sensationalistic, but then, I guess that's how you sell magazines!). 
*Pretty much loving all of their clothes.
*Pickled beets, I love thee so!
*Loving These Days In French Life (big thanks to Sacha Joy for tipping me off!)
*This summer to-do list sounds about perfect.
*Rhubarb Fool with Cardamom Cream, ya'll!!!
*Check out Camille's giveaway.
*Floating cloud geodesic city!
*Details on the great light bulb phase-out.
*Keeping Chickens is crazy discounted right now! 

I've got a post up on Design Sponge today. I'm chatting about making your own signature perfume. It's amazingly easy to do and is a great idea for gift-giving.

Tonight we're headed to a little cocktail party of Jen's house, which should be a blast. Tomorrow will find us in Knoxville for the International Biscuit Festival (I. KNOW!!!). I'll be signing books in front of Union Ave Books at 1 p.m., so be sure to stop by and say "howdy" if you're in the area.

Otherwise, wherever you go this weekend, whatever you do, and whomever you do it with, may it be grand!

*For any new readers, I always post a photo of Huxley on "What I'm Digging" because he's truly what I dig the most. Yesterday, we were chowing down on some Cherry Vanilla Pot Pie left over from a photo shoot. You think he liked it?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess it is high time I buy myself a copy of 'Keeping Chickens' instead of continually renting it from the library :) Send those storms my way, please!

Unknown said...

I guess it is high time I buy myself a copy of 'Keeping Chickens' instead of continually renting it from the library :) Send those storms my way, please!

Anna said...

I've been looking for a good affordable fairly/sustainably made clothes so I appreciate your link to that one!

Melissa said...

Oh!!! Those clothes!! Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend!

Sacha Joy said...

So glad you liked the Flicker photostream! I had a feeling she was a kindred spirit of yours. I'm thinking of doing a no-shopping July or August, inspired by her. And happy to hear that your grandma's health is improving.

anna said...

glad your grandmother is showing positive improvement. hope to see a recipe for the pot pie soon, too. thanks so much for the "link love". enjoy your weekend...i'm off to hang a tire swing and hope for rain. xo!

mandi said...

I made my first ever batch of pickled beets last week! I am opening the first jar tonight at a get together with friends. Here's hoping mine are as good as "she" says they are supposed to be!
ps- good news about your grandmother! so glad to hear it!

100 Thoughts of Love said...

thanks for the "sale" tip on your book...have been meaning to order it and now I saved a few dollars!!

Amber Veverka said...

Enjoyed the pickled beets link...that's a different recipe than I have done and I'd like to give it a try. I have tried in vain to transmit my love of pickled beets to my family. Oh well, more for me! On another food note, don't know if elderberries are blossoming up in the Asheville area yet, but if they are, you can make elderblossom fritters with them. I did a post on my blog about it. I want to try elderblossom syrup...

HeatherLee said...

Your little one is such a cutie!

Biscuit festival. I am so jealous! I think I am adding that to my list of things to do. I need to visit the biscuit festival. I hope you get lots of biscuit tasting in.

Unknown said...

Love your Friday posts! I always try recipes that you link to and they are always fantastic.

amanda said...

there was just way too much goodness in this little post!

I found my way to 'Nectar', and bookmarked it pretty much immediately,

I pre-ordered that amazing looking pie book of yours... perhaps I'll eat mostly pie, in some form, this summer...

I'm pretty psyched to give perfume-making a go now

cheers!