Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Apple Bourbon Pan Meatloaf

Oh, man. I don't know about you, but we're busy as squirrels chez English, gathering up items from the market, prepping dishes to try to get a leg up on things, sprucing up the house, and getting ready for a big day of feasting tomorrow.

We'll be hosting 8 adults and 2 children (well, 3, technically, if you consider the few bites that Huxley will munch on), including Lynne Harty (the photographer behind all of my books with Lark), her husband Steve Cohen, and the Rattigans, proprietors of the legendary French Broad Chocolate Lounge, including Dan's mom and sister. My mom and grandmother ("Gigi" and "Nanny" respectively) will be in attendance as well. Everyone is pitching in with a dish or two, while Hubs takes care of the big bird. It should be a grand time.

I don't know if it's because last holiday season was such a blur, as I recovered from the birth and got used to being a new mama, or if I'm just feeling really festive lately, but I've been yielding to the holiday lure in a big way. I've already had eggnog (several times! with fresh nutmeg! and bourbon!), have been burning this heavenly candle, and have even enjoyed some classic holiday tunes. I'm planning to make my own snow globes, have foraged pine cones from my yard and mother's to put on handmade wreaths, will be back in the saddle with my annual cookie exchange out here on December 4th, and have picked up some snowball-shaped candles I plan to do a "frosty" decorative treatment on. The thrill is in the air, folks, I tell ya!

But, before I plow ahead with Yuletide festivities and Thanksgiving tomorrow, I thought I'd share with you a recent dish Hubs and I cooked up for dinner. Using local grass-fed pastured beef from Hickory Nut Gap Farm, we created an apple and bourbon pan meatloaf. Many a meatloaf is rendered dry, bland, and tough on account of overcooking, under-seasoning, and inadequate moisture. Here, eggs, milk and fresh apples provide ample moisture, while fresh herbs and a sweet & savory glaze take this loaf to the meatloaf hall of fame.

We used some of the apple butter I recently made in the glaze, and a touch of bourbon throughout to inject it with an added layer of flavor. Suffice to say, it's good. Stick-to-your-ribs-warm-your-toes-tickle-your-fancy good. While turkey is getting all the attention this week, consider this meatloaf once you've had your poultry fill. We spread it out in a baking pan, as opposed to shaping it into a loaf, as we discovered that, in keeping it wider (versus higher), the loaf cooks more uniformly throughout.

Apple Bourbon Pan Meatloaf

The Goods
For the loaf:
-2 1/2 pounds ground grass-fed sirloin
-2-3 medium sized apples, peeled, cored and cubed
-1 tablespoon butter
-2 ounces bourbon
-3 cups fresh breadcrumbs (or 1 cup dried)
-4 eggs
-1/3 cup milk
-2 tablespoons soy sauce
-1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped fine (or 1 teaspoon dried)
-1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped fine
-2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1 teaspoon dried garlic granules
-2 teaspoons sea salt
-Several grinds black pepper
-Olive oil, for baking sheet

For the crust:
-1/2 cup catsup
-1/2 cup apple butter
-A splash of bourbon
-1/2 tsp garlic granules
-A pinch of salt
-Several grinds of black pepper
-A few drops of hot sauce, if desired


The Deal:
1)  Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a baking sheet (the size of the baking sheet isn't important; we used a 9"x12" sheet pan, but what matters is the thickness that you shape the loaf into).
2) Saute the apples in the butter and bourbon over medium heat for about 10 minutes until they start to break down.
3) Remove from heat, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the meat and stir to fully combine.
4) Add the breadcrumbs to the meat and apple mixture.
5) In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and salt together. Add to the meat mixture and stir to combine.
6) Add the soy sauce, herbs, pepper, and garlic.
7) Mix well (clean hands are best for this task!).
8) Form a flat loaf on the greased baking sheet, about 1 1/2-inches thick.
8) Mix all of the ingredients for the crust in a small bowl. Smooth the mixture evenly across the top of the loaf.
9) Cook at 375 degrees for one hour (we put some sweet potatoes into the oven at the same time to bake while the meatloaf cooked). 
10) Place under the broiler for 2-4 minutes, until the crust starts to brown a little.
11) Let it rest for a few minutes before serving.

I've been hugely inspired by the livestock grazing practices of Allan Savory of the Savory Institute. Winner of the 2010 Buckminster Fuller Institute Challenge, Savory is literally changing the landscape of our planet for the better with his holistic land management. The video below shares his philosophy and practices. Hickory Nut Gap has been inspired by Savory and we're immensely fortunate to have access to such sustainably raised beef in our area.



7 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great Ashley! I've got some crab-apple butter I've been meaning to find a unique use for so will give this recipe a go. I also find that meatloaf will go dry if you use dry breadcrumbs - fresh ones always keep mine quite moist.

El Gaucho said...

That looks fantastic, and I'm always a sucker for an experimental meatloaf recipe. I'll put this recipe on the menu docket for next week to try once all the turkey leftovers are gone.

Elaine said...

Oh my goodness! Sounds amazing and can't wait to give it a try:))

Anonymous said...

That sounds amazing! Thank you!

Unknown said...

Very interestng video!

I make an apple meatloaf and it is the only kind of meatloaf I have ever liked! I will try some of your ingredients in mine and see how it works.

Meister @ The Nervous Cook said...

Sounds freaking fantastic -- you are obviously doing it right!

Meatloaf (turkey or ostrich) is my usual Friendsgiving go-to, if only for the sandwiches the next day. Nothing better than a turkey-meatloaf sandwich with cranberry sauce and mashed sweet potatoes.

Now I regret not going the loaf route this year. Oh well, live & learn…

Alexandra said...

Interesting video; I wonder how "holistic land management" fits together with recovering native grazing animals?