Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Busy Bees

On Labor Day weekend, I mentioned some friends came over and helped us with a summer honey extraction. Ian, Kristina and Jenny are all absolute troopers, always willing to lend a helping hand when it comes to all things apiary (and beyond; these are, as it's said around these parts, "good people").What I didn't have in that post were photos of the extraction process itself, but now I do (courtesy of Ian himself)! To see many, many more images from that day, go here.

We busted it out, while Hubs and our friends Jen, Jon and their lovely daughter Awynn played with Huxley and cooked up a scrumptious brunch. J & J were visiting from Atlanta, where they live and work as art instructors at two private schools. These are some of my most beloved, treasured, dear friends. They are all-around wonderful people who I keep trying to entice away from the hustle and flow of the ATL and onto the land beside us!

It was amazing, humbling, captivating work. Every time I drizzle some of this precious nectar onto my morning yogurt, I look on in awe. Thank you so very much, bees, plants, humans and beyond, for this transformational experience!

12 comments:

Erica said...

I'm loving all of the honey extractions that are popping up on blogs this week! I'm living vicariously through you all until we can have a hive of our own someday! Thanks for sharing! :)

mandi said...

Oh how wonderful! To good friends and busy bees!

Anita said...

What a great time it must have been! Great to have people around you love to spend time with.

penelope said...

yum! we had a hive carefully removed from a wall in a previous house and got to have the honey. it was superb and probably even better because those sweet bees made it within my walls and then moved to a happy bee home where they were welcomed with open arms.

Kristina said...

To good friends and good bees for sure!!

Apseed said...

Honey making process is like a small miracle. Thank You for inspiration!

Kim said...

Gee what a lot of work. Maybe I'm not ready for bees after all and I am certainly not knowledgeable enough YET. Hope to get your book soon.

You know, I enjoy looking at photos of your kitchen. I have detected a problem in my own kitchen that I don't see in yours. I have been so worried about making it look pretty that it has lost all functionality. I love how all your essentials are out there within reach, and you know what I love how it looks. Time for some changes in my kitchen. Love your blog.

Yasmin said...

Wonderful photos!

Cat K. said...

Wow, that looks like an awesome and very rewarding day! Thanks for sharing the photos!

Anonymous said...

I'm about ready to leave the hustle and bustle of the ATL and head up that way... seriously though, I think you're not far from where we plan to go once the kid(s) are out of school! On another note, can't wait to see you at the Country Living Festival next weekend!

Anonymous said...

Nostalgia! My best friend's family used to keep bees on their apple orchard, and I remember the Saturday night extraction parties in the garage where all the menfolk from the 'hood would come and help out! They'd listen to the Saturday Night oldies show on the radio, discuss (argue) about politics, and drink beer, all while processing that miel. We would sneak in to dip our fingers in every now and then, and to suck on the honeycomb. Probably not that sanitary, but luckily it was for home consumption only. Have you thought about making mead with your honey?

Jamie said...

Looks delicious! And looks like you guys had a good time too. I look forward to the day when I get to set up a hive to call my own. We like in an urban area and my wife doesn't think our yard is big enough that I could have a hive without her or our 2 young children getting stung. They do fine with all the bees that visit out flower gardens all year long, so I don't see how a hive would be any differnet (other than a lot more fun because I would get to spend a lot more time with them). Oh well, thanks for sharing the pictures and blog so I can dream and share the experience with your family.