Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Digesting the Reader

Huxley and I both had doctor's appointments today. We're seeing the same physician, Dr. Polansky. She's perfect for us. She's SO Asheville, which is to say, she has big chunks of fire engine red streaks in her otherwise brown hair, has chinese lanterns hanging from the ceiling of one of her examine rooms (as well as a plug-in electric water fountain tucked into the corner, next to the vase of forced dogwood blooms), wears neo-hippie clothing (flowing skirts, floor-length cardigans, and clogs) in lieu of the routine staid white lab coat, and has banners with positive mantras festooning the room.

Huxley loves her and she sets us both enormously at ease. And she smiles, a lot, which wins her big points in my book. I like smilers. I'm a smiler. And I come from a long lineage of smilers. We're huggers, too.

After our appointment, I swung by my old workplace. I'd yet to take Huxley to meet the staff and figured it was an ideal time, as we were just down the road. Once inside, one of my old work buddies said "You know you're in this month's Reader's Digest, right?" They pointed out the mention to me (posted above-I'm #5) while my jaw dropped in incredulity. Crazy to think that RD is mining the likes of Design Sponge for content, but, there you have it! They must have come across my post on DIY Cleaning Products and liked the sound of it.

Fine by me! Thanks, RD, for the love!

3 comments:

Kristina Mercedes said...

crazy cool, congrats! makes me wonder about all the other corners of the literary world your name is tucked into that we (or you!) don't know about! :)

elisa said...

that's just the stuff of trophies & ribbons! brilliant affirmation! x

jen said...

Congrats and all that but I'm still reeling (sort of) from the fact that you and your baby see the same doctor. Genius!!! I wish I would've found a doctor who would see both of us back when mine were small. Heck, even now! Smart.